Deli Sandro's is now open

Views: 4527

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Beautiful!

Suggestions on how to cook ALL this healthy food might be good as many young mothers (who live in the area) tend to use pre-packaged foods for lack of cooking experience.  AND they do not know how to shop economically to feed their young ones.  You know sort of like the tastings that go on at Sam's but hand out recipe cards instead of directing them to the pre-packaged frozen food section.  Probably would have to research the Health Dept on this one.  Or just offer recipe cards using the foods you sell. The Westside Farmers Market on Genesee St. and fresh produce on S.Plymouth...............YAHHHHHHHH. 

Riziki is Swahili for provisions

Soko is Swahili for marketplace

Since it's going to be a classy market, let's find a classy name!

PLEX does have a large concentration of folks from Sudan

That is really an excellent idea! Not only would it teach and encourage fresh food preparation and consumption but also have the potential to be an excellent marketing tool that could bring people back to try new recipes and seasonal ingrediants. I also think there is a genuine correlation between quality food and quality of life. I may be off base in saying this, as i know there are a lot of vegetarians out there ;-) (not to worry we will have vegetables), but to me there is nothing like a nice beautiful cut of meat. It is always something I appreciate and look forward to enjoying. 

Plus there is a local printer in the area on Exchange St. who could possible handle the recipe cards!

I believe that "soko" would be more appropriate for something like the Westside Farmers Market. A local grocery shop is usually called a "duka" in Swahili. Also, Swahili is not really a Sudanese language. The official languages in the two Sudans are Arabic and English. The Swahili comes from the fact that most of the Sudanese in the US came through refugee camps in Kenya, where the official language is Swahili. So it's still a step closer to home for them.

Yeah I know the two languages are different, but I am kinda partial to Swahili as my sister  is learning the language and leaves for Tanzania on May 1.  So that's why I looked up the two words.  Was just doing a fyi for the Sudanese residents in the PLEX area. 

Having a Swahili name might fail to convey what it is to those of us that don't speak Swahili (unless there were subtitles). Also it might imply that it is a strictly ethnic market -- sort of like when I see a restaurant with a Chinese name I expect it to sell Chinese food.  

I just think Swahili as well as French are beautiful languages.  Just trying to think out of the box that's all.  Sort of like the Mise En Place Market in the South Wedge.  And what name would you suggest Barbara?  Ethnic markets sort of intrigue me as I like to experiment with foods/spices  I am not accustomed to.  Just thinking out loud I guess.............

Hey check out Todd's Dirt  There is no one distributing this GREAT spice here in this area.  Wegman's won't carry it as I asked.......  I spied this fantastic spice one year at Rib Fest and myself and a friend won't let the jars get empty before we re-order.  It's like Boss Sauce....................good on everything (eggs included) and especially fresh grilled corn!!!  Todd really 'does it dirty'!!  LOL he and I correspond frequently.

Yes!!! I got introduced to this by a friend in New Orleans --it's WONDERFUL!! And I haven't been able to find it up here.

Currently, you have to go on line to buy the DIRT  and a few of us co-op buy to share in the S & H costs. We do the same co-op buying for Blue Belle ice cream (from Texas) too.   

ok I need to find and try this stuff. 

RSS

SW Merchants

Information Links

These links plus others can also be found under the Links tab.

ABOUT THE 19TH WARD

19th Ward Community Association
Rochester City Living
RocWiki.org

ANIMAL RELATED SERVICES

To report animal cruelty, call 911 or  THE ANIMAL CRUELTY HOTLINE: (585) 223-6500

City of Rochester Low-income Spay/Neuter for pet Dogs and Cats

Rochester Community Animal Clinic - low-income spay/neuter for pet dogs and cats, and feral cats

PAWS, Inc.Providing Animal Welfare Services

City of Rochester Adopt a Dog or Cat

Lollypop Farm, The Humane Society of Rochester and Monroe County 

BUYING A HOME IN THE 19TH WARD

Homesteadnet.com

City of Rochester Property Information

Rochester City Living

Trulia Listed Homes For Sale

UR Home Ownership Program

Zillow listed homes for sale

COMMUNITY LINKS

Arnett Public Library

Brooks Landing

City of Rochester 

John Lightfoot, Monroe County Legislator,District 25

Loretta Scott, City Council President, At Large

LaShay D. Harris, South District

Genesee Valley Park

Metro Justice

RGRTA Bus Information

Minority Reporter

SouthWest Tribune

Rochester Green Living

ROCSPOT

Sector 4 Comm. Developmant Corp

Savor Life Radio Show

Teen Empowerment

WDKX Urban contemporary 103.9 FM

WRUR 88.5 UR and WXXI partnership  88.5 FM

Southwest Family YMCA

UR Gov. & Community Relations

EDUCATION

Rochester Prep Charter School

U.S. Dept. of Education

FAITH COMMUNITY

St. Monica Church

BUSINESSES

El Latino Restaurant
D and L Groceries
Hand Crafted Wrought Iron
Jim Dalberth Sports
Menezes Pizza
TOPS Friendly Markets
Staybridge Suites

OUTREACH AND SERVICES

Coalition to Prevent Lead Poisoning (CPLP)

Dealing with Lead
Drug Activity
Healthy Blocks
HEAP NY Home Heating Assistant
Home Safety Tips    LifeTimesAdultDay Health Care
Medicare
NeighborWorks Rochester
Parking / Abandoned Vehicles
2-1-1 Social Services
ACT Rochester

OTHER

Genesee Co-op FCU