(Did I miss anyone?)
1. Shaun explained that the East High/U of R contract with the RCSD has 3 more years to run & that all funding will be maintained to insure that all innovative aspects of the school will be maintained.
2. The program works due to several factors, including:
A. A committed staff that works very hard,
B. Great sustained professional development for teachers & school leaders,
C. Funding for additional reading teachers, counsellors, social workers, and team leaders,
D. Meaningful curriculum development by staff that they "own,"
3. Each year, as much as $5 million dollars is returned to the RCSD, due to savings by the school from a variety of sources; some of which is through the high teacher attendance rates. This can be used by the RCSD for any purpose they choose to; including replication of the UofR/East High program.
4. A program to support graduates of East High in their college programs or careers is in operation & being further developed.
5. Shaun is interested in increasing the effectiveness of the East High/UofR impact on students by exploring the possibility of joining the NYS Performance Standards Consortium, but has met with NYSED resistance.
6. Shaun states that the student data indicates that most East High graduates have the necessary skills to succeed in college or their chosen careers and as citizens.
7. Shaun recommended that the most effective action the Coalition can do to support the continuation of the East High/UofR program is to lobby extensively if the school is not renewed in 3 years, if the positive data continues.
8. Our Coalition recognizes that the mind sets, leadership skills, experience, and professional support, limits the possibilities of successful replication of the East High/UofR development in the RCSD.
9. A RCSD professional development program for Leadership Development to replicate key components of the East High program should be implemented. Shaun will be offering such a program this summer. Who will attend? If not, why?
10. The Coalition will continue to explore and plan for the support of this successful program.
Please add corrections, additional perspectives & questions! I know I did not capture all of Shaun's information.
If this continues in its success, the RCSD should adapt similar programs in other schools.