From: Dan Drmacich <firstname.lastname@example.org> Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 10:21 AM
To: Sean Smith,Dave Atias,Eileen,Deb Hanmer,David Kurtz and 77 more...
12/30 Coalition for Public Education Minutes
Attendance: Chojy Schroeder, Howie Maffucci, Connie Flahive, Don Bartalo, Mark Hare, Don Pryor, John Boutet, Joe Simson, Dan Drmacich
Discussion & Decisions:
1. We discussed the state of democracy locally & nationally, especially indications that it is diminishing. Dan urged Coalition members & others to read the book by Lincoln Republican, Tom Nichols: "Our Own Worst Enemy: The Assault From Within on Modern Democracy."
2. Dan reported on the 12/29 meeting with City of Rochester Chief Diversity Officer, Dr. Cephas Archie, RASE Commissioners Denishea Ortiz & Luis Ormaechea, Roberts Wesleyen Ed. Professor Diana Smith, Superintendents Jim Haugh (East Rochester) & Brett Provenzano (Fairport), the SUNY Geneseo Dean of Education & Diane Watkins (RCSD teacher & Coalition member) for the purpose of advancing the RASE Curriculum & Testing Recommendation. There was strong support for advancing these recommendations & all agreed to meet again with other local govt. "players" to gain support for the recommendations that will require state approval. Dan will keep us posted.
3. We discussed the recent letter we sent to NYSED Commissioner Rosa, the RCSD BoE & Supt., & Regents, recommending the termination of State Monitor Shelley Jallow, and again strongly supported it.
4. We discussed the draft (attached) letter to all participating districts in the Urban Suburban Transfer Program, advocating several more equitable changes in their policies. We agreed to send more feedback on the letter to Dan, and also agreed to hold off on sending the letter until after some key decisions are made on the "Great Schools for All" magnet schools proposal, since there may be some overlapping, conflicting issues.
5. Joe shared his work on a student survey regarding support for learning about race-related issues in their schools. We gave Joe some feedback & he will seek permission from the organizers to use the survey at an up-coming student summit meeting on race & diversity issues. The goal is to get more student feedback to support more race-related curriculum in all Monroe County schools.
6. We discussed our recent meeting with East High Supt., Shaun Nelms & agreed that given all the progress East has made, that there should be more discussions within RCSD for replication.
We also agreed to invite Shaun to another meeting for further discussions & planning recommendations on replication, from our Coalition.
7. We agreed to support the Citizen Action proposal for a city-wide education conference among all interested education organizations to discuss establishing collaborative priorities to achieve more meaningful reforms to help RCSD students.
8. Don & Mark reported that a Great Schools for All meeting with interested Monroe County Supts. will take place on Jan. 4th.
9. If I've missed anything, please let me know.
10. We agreed to meet again on Friday, Jan. 14th at 4:00 pm, by Zoom.