A few quick words on Location19 structure (Scroll down to see Main page screen capture):
- Anyone can read just about anything posted on Location19 but you have to join and be signed-in to post anything to the site.
- http://www.location19.org gets you to the Main page of the Location19 site.
- The left column:
- Includes the Daily Email Digest at the top. You can "Subscribe" for the digest whether you are a member or not. When subscribed you get a daily email listing what has been posted the previous day, with links to the posts.
- The Latest Activity box further down the left column lists the most recent postings on Location19. Checking it is a must if you want to know what is going on since many posts are added in somewhere in hundreds of possible locations on the site.
- The central column:
- Has the Events calendar in the top box. The box show the next four or more events that are listed depending on my current setting. Click View All in the lower right of that box to see all the queued events in the calendar.
- Further down is the Forum box which shows the 5 most recently active Discussions in the general Forum. Again click View All in the lower right of that box to see all the Discussions in the Forum. There are over 300 general discussions organized in 10 different categories.
- The next box down is the Blog Posts box which shows the latest 5 blogs added to the over 340 blogs which can be seen if you click View All in the lower right of that box.
- The box at the very bottom of the central column shows some of the 500+ members who have joined Location19. Again click View All in the lower right of that box to see all the members listed with names in multiple pages. Also note that you can search for members based on info they included in their profiles such as their name or street:
- Note that you can also search the whole site for word included in any post by using the Search Location19.org function at the top right of the screen:
- The right column:
- Has the Sign-up/Sign-in box at the top.
- Next is the SW Merchants box with three buttons to lists of local merchants reviews we have done.
- The Groups box shows the 20 most recent groups to have been formed on Location19. Again click View All in the lower right of that box to see all of the over 60 groups that are currently on Location19. Each of the groups has a similar structure which you see when you click on the group name or icon:
- The wide left group column contains most of the group info and postings by group members:
- The top Information box displays the group icon and has a brief discription of the group.
- This may be followed by a text box describing how the group functions or containing information the group creator chooses to include.
- Next is the group Discussion Forum box which shows some of the discussions posted to the group forum. Again click View All in the lower right of that box to see all the group discussions.
- Next comes the Comment Wall box which is used mostly to post items which are not intended to initiate discussion.
- The "central" group column displays:
- The Members box which shows who has joined the group. Location19 members have to join the group to be able to post to the group and receive special messages sent out to the group.
- The Pages box which can list pages of information that the group administrators chose to create. This box only displays under the Members box if the group administrators have created pages to list here.
- The right group column remains mostly unchanged between the Main page and the various groups.
- The box at the bottom of the right column of the Main page is the Information Links box which contains useful links for SW Rochester.
- The TABS row at the top of the page just under the header image is another way to get to most of the features describe above. Note that the Connect, Share, Public Safety, and Block Clubs tabs have drop-down sub-tabs that appear if your cursor lingers over the tab name. Be sure to explore all of your options.
Next a look at screen captures of the Main page:
(Everything written above applies to this state)
- When you join and are signed-in:
(You will find this big blue ugly "Welcome" box added to the top of your Main page. It has three buttons that can help you get familiar with things you can do such as Invite Friends, Customize Your Page, & Add Content. All of the functions you get at by use of these buttons in the blue Welcome box can be accessed by other means. The large red arrows I have added to the illustration below point to where you can find these functions without the blue box. Once you have satisfied yourself of this fact you can make the blue box disappear permanently by clicking the "x" in the upper right of the blue box. )