Hello,

I recently joined the Location 19 website to make you aware of a college bar that is opening in my neighborhood.  I am a longtime resident on S Plymouth Ave and I just became aware of a gentleman that is trying to open up a college bar at 1155 S Plymouth Ave.  This is the same gentleman that has been buying up properties for students and evicting my friends and neighbors.  I do not think the neighborhood needs a college bar.  We will be inundated with drunk college kids on Friday and Saturday nights.  The city and neighborhood must stand up to prevent this bar.  It will only bring trouble.  The bar name is Plymouth Roc.  That is the same name of the gang that terrorized our streets years ago.  We do not need this.  We do not want this. 

Sincerely,
Lucinda

Views: 6548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Barbecue, seafood, salads, and sandwiches.

Please don't forget the vegetarians. There are a number of us in the neighborhood.

Vegetarian/vegan/local would be popular with a number of local residents and with college students.   Lots of places these days are offering protein choices (chicken/beef/grilled tofu) for salads, wraps, etc., which is greatly appreciated by those who are eating mainly veggie diets.  

I am a bussiness owner at 1172 plymouth ave and we have already experienced several problems with the college kid's comming into our bar, a young lady had several drinks them SPIT ON TOP OF OUR BAR, anthore student was caught trying to bring his personal beer into the bar. several weeks a go several students entered the bar already intoxicated from a party down the street and was refused service he fell all over and between our tables and chairs his freinds was asked .to take him out of the bar he then went and fell in the middle of Plymouth ave they had to pick him up and take him home down the street . we have received several calls from neighbors about cars blocking there driveways thinking they are at our bar and in most instance we are not open. There was a RIT student car parked on plymouth for over 3 weeks with several tickets and a flat tire on it before it was moved. In this type of busines we hear complaints and stories all the time from patrons just recent we have heard of Racial Profilling and Racial slurs being said to two residents in this neighborhood which I will not go into at this time however I did tell them they need to make the city aware of this we dont need Radical tension in this area and we certain dont need the problem that the state of Flordia is having with the Trevon Martin issure, We need to know who is going to be conducting business in our neighborhood and how they feal toward the Black community . Thanks Eula Reed

The problems you have had with these students in your bar drastically pale in comparison to the violence that has plagued these streets and the other businesses including your bar in this area. It sounds like you have a real problem with these college students. You seem to want to lump all college students together. I am sure there are some college students that do not know how to conduct themselves. Just as there are many non students that do not know how to conduct themselves. Rather than lump people into broad generalized groups we would rather deal with people individually based on their behavior. 

In regards to your statement regarding racial profiling and racial slurs, I am not sure what that has to do with a restaurant opening up at 1155 S. Plymouth Ave. Those matters may be best solved between the parties involved.

I am not sure what Trevon Martin has do with this conversation in any way shape or form. What happened to him is unfortunate, but it has nothing to do with starting up a restaurant that sells hot dogs and beer. 

In regards to "We need to know who is going to be conducting business in our neighborhood and how they feal toward the Black community" - First of all who is the we? And secondly, I didn't know there was a separate black community I just view us all as the community.

Anthony:

I really appreciate your patient willingness to engage the entire community. I can't think of anything that would improve that eyesore on the corner better than a nice restaurant. Question --are you planning to serve any alcohol besides beer? (I would suggest wine - i don't like beer) If you limit your alcohol service to beer and wine and forego the hard liquor you will project a classier image, and maybe allay some of the fears the owner of the Brothers Club has.

I was at the variance hearing request by the Brothers Club and didn't speak against it. The owners should show you at least the same courtesy.

I agree, Alan. The more we talk with and encourage folks who are trying to start new businesses in the neighborhood, the better the outcomes will be. If Lyjah Wilton had come forward this early in the planning process for both his Boulder endeavors, rather than working behind closed doors with a select few, we might still have a sense of pride in and ownership of the building that many people saw as the historical gateway to the 19th Ward, which is now fundamentally closed to us. Anthony D'Alessandro is starting off on the right foot. Let's help him continue that way.

So far, Mr. Alessandro has expressed interest in finding out more about the history of the building he proposes to open as business as well as the rich history of the PLEX neighborhood.  And yes Ken and Alan, this is more than we have experienced in the past.  Hopefully, these communication doors will remain open and not open and close at will w/o community input from THE BEGINNING, THRU THE PROCESS, THE DEDICATION AT THE END AND THE ONGOING SUPPORT FROM THE COMMUNITY IN PATRONIZING THE BUSINESS.  Still trying to get a decent cup of coffee this side of the Genesee River.  I am a FIRM believe in supporting community businesses that support and respect the community!  There are no other better long standing businesses than Hunt's Hardware, Dalbert's Sporting Goods, Paula's, Ali Tailor's, Monarch Express Printing and a few other businesses who have stood the test of time.  All of which I will patronize before going out of the SW to shop.  But somehow, I just can't go get a cup of coffee from Boulder's.  The taste is still bitter in my mouth. 

WOW, thanks Lucinda for your footwork, sharing and of course your perspective on things!! I am well aware of all the hammering, sawing and 3rd floor renovations in this area.  Really interested in the address that have been purchased on S. Plymouth, Jefferson and Barton.  I know that maneuvering Barton has become very hazardous due to the large number of cars parked (out of state plates) and I now avoid it at all costs. 

DOuble WOW....  DHB 1 LLC and DHB 2 LLC (as they're known on the Monroe County website) own a LOT of property here in the SW - Genesee Street, Brooks, Barton, Plymouth, Thurston to name a few.  Looks like this might be there website: http://www.dalessandrohousebuyers.com/index.html 

Looking through it, I see that they offer a $500 'referral' for homes so i'm wondering if the guy that came to my front door just this week was part of this company?? It also looks like they appeal to homeowners who are in financial difficulty....

I'm also wondering if this company is responsible for the 'cash for home' signs that pop up here pretty regularly....

Absolutely! Very Good Question. Well first of all the Party Bus that your talking about operates over 1,200 miles away from here in one of very few corporately owned municipalities focused on attracting tourist dollars. The organization takes guests to huge entertainment complexes (ie. Universal Studios City Walk), which is something we do not have here. I don't have any control over how anyone feels about past experiences with what happened with Boulder coffee or past developers. Your going to feel how your going to feel and you have every right to those thoughts. I have been candid as to what I would like to accomplish at 1155 S Plymouth Ave. Just based on the feedback we have received here, the community would really appreciate a nice place to come have some good food and grab a beer. There is simply no incentive for us to jeopardize that. 
In regards to D'Alessandro House Buyers, I am not at liberty to speak on their behalf. Aside from the fact that Joe is my brother, I have no affiliation or invested interest in their organization or what they do. All I can say in defense to your accusations is that from what I have seen, he has done nothing but improve the quality of the housing options in this area. His remodels are really nice places to live. The fact that he is so adamant about the concentration of his purchases should also put to rest any speculation of a fly by night investor. We are in this for the long haul and have every intention of making this area a more attractive place live, work and play.

Some progress.... a potential interior design idea... table seating for 20... bar seating for 13

RSS

SW Merchants

Information Links

These links plus others can also be found under the Links tab.

ABOUT THE 19TH WARD

19th Ward Community Association
Rochester City Living
RocWiki.org

ANIMAL RELATED SERVICES

To report animal cruelty, call 911 or  THE ANIMAL CRUELTY HOTLINE: (585) 223-6500

City of Rochester Low-income Spay/Neuter for pet Dogs and Cats

Rochester Community Animal Clinic - low-income spay/neuter for pet dogs and cats, and feral cats

PAWS, Inc.Providing Animal Welfare Services

City of Rochester Adopt a Dog or Cat

Lollypop Farm, The Humane Society of Rochester and Monroe County 

BUYING A HOME IN THE 19TH WARD

Homesteadnet.com

City of Rochester Property Information

Rochester City Living

Trulia Listed Homes For Sale

UR Home Ownership Program

Zillow listed homes for sale

COMMUNITY LINKS

Arnett Public Library

Brooks Landing

City of Rochester 

John Lightfoot, Monroe County Legislator,District 25

Loretta Scott, City Council President, At Large

LaShay D. Harris, South District

Genesee Valley Park

Metro Justice

RGRTA Bus Information

Minority Reporter

SouthWest Tribune

Rochester Green Living

ROCSPOT

Sector 4 Comm. Developmant Corp

Savor Life Radio Show

Teen Empowerment

WDKX Urban contemporary 103.9 FM

WRUR 88.5 UR and WXXI partnership  88.5 FM

Southwest Family YMCA

UR Gov. & Community Relations

EDUCATION

Rochester Prep Charter School

U.S. Dept. of Education

FAITH COMMUNITY

St. Monica Church

BUSINESSES

El Latino Restaurant
D and L Groceries
Hand Crafted Wrought Iron
Jim Dalberth Sports
Menezes Pizza
TOPS Friendly Markets
Staybridge Suites

OUTREACH AND SERVICES

Coalition to Prevent Lead Poisoning (CPLP)

Dealing with Lead
Drug Activity
Healthy Blocks
HEAP NY Home Heating Assistant
Home Safety Tips    LifeTimesAdultDay Health Care
Medicare
NeighborWorks Rochester
Parking / Abandoned Vehicles
2-1-1 Social Services
ACT Rochester

OTHER

Genesee Co-op FCU