19th Ward Community Association
Housing Committee
Meeting Notes
December 14, 2011

Meeting convened at 11: 00 AM  

Present: John Boutet, Marian Boutet, Eleanor Coleman, Peter Evans, DeWain Feller, Lee Krist, Toni Orlati, Joan Roby-Davison, June Rose

Joan Roby-Davison discussed potential funding sources to assist residents in making repairs:

• Establish a real estate brokerage at the 19th Ward Community Association – Peter Evans will discuss possibility with Adrienne Kllc
  • Bishop Sheen Ecumenical Housing Foundation – Grants for very low- to moderate-income families, seniors, veterans and persons with disabilities
  • City of Rochester (NCS Community Development Corporation)– Emergency Systems Repair Program (EARP) - Sewer Line Repair/Replacement , Water Service Repair/Replacement , Water Heater Repair/Replacement , Furnace Repair/Replacement , Electrical System Repairs , Plumbing Repairs , Leaking Roofs and related damage caused by leaks (includes: shingles, underlayment, ice & water shield, flashing, drip edges, fascia, soffits, vents, and gutters/downspouts if needed)
  • ABC - Energy Conservation - Weatherization and insulation grants to reduce the cost of heating expense
  • Lifespan – Aging in Place – Surveys and installation of handrails, bathtub grab bars, handheld shower units
  • Reverse Mortgages – The Housing Council and Lifespan offer neutral counselors

An “exit interview” for people who are leaving the neighborhood was proposed.

A “market houses as if they were in Pittsford” program was proposed.

Meeting was adjourned at 12:20 PM

Submitted by Marian Boutet

-------------------------

Documents discussed and/or distributed at the meeting:

Views: 184

Replies to This Discussion

Here are a few pictures from this very productive meeting:

John/Marion - thanks for sharing these minutes. It's so useful for those of us who cannot attend meetings to be able to read/see what's being discussed. I'm wondering if you (or anyone else at the meeting) can explain the "market houses as if they were in Pittsford" proposal?

Another piece of educational information that might be helpful to share with residents is the use of homeowners insurance for SOME repairs and/or damage. We had a significant ice damming issue last year and sustained about 3K worth of damage - gutters, soffits, an AC condenser unit, etc. Thankfully, our home owners insurance covered ALL of the damage because it was from falling ice (vs. an un-repaired/leaky roof)! My guess is that we may have some residents who wouldn't think to talk with their insurance company about some of these types of things so it might be another piece of useful information to share.

thanks!

Mary Ann,

It is true you can be dropped from homeowners insurance if you make a claim or two.  It happened to me.  I had water back up from the city sewer line into my cellar when they were flushing the hydrants two times, and my insurance company canceled my homeowners.  They said I had two claims and they were dropping me.  Even though it was no fault on my part!

Mark

Just spotted this in the Democrat & Chronicle on-line edition, and thought it might be of interest both to the housing committee and to the group looking at creating a tool library:

Tool-thrift-shop-fairport-Baptist-homes

I also just learned that St. Monica's has tools that they lend out on an occasional basis.  Contact the church at 235-3340 for details, more information and any restrictions.

RSS

SW Merchants

Information Links

These links plus others can also be found under the Links tab.

ABOUT THE 19TH WARD

19th Ward Community Association
Rochester City Living
RocWiki.org

ANIMAL RELATED SERVICES

To report animal cruelty, call 911 or  THE ANIMAL CRUELTY HOTLINE: (585) 223-6500

City of Rochester Low-income Spay/Neuter for pet Dogs and Cats

Rochester Community Animal Clinic - low-income spay/neuter for pet dogs and cats, and feral cats

PAWS, Inc.Providing Animal Welfare Services

City of Rochester Adopt a Dog or Cat

Lollypop Farm, The Humane Society of Rochester and Monroe County 

BUYING A HOME IN THE 19TH WARD

Homesteadnet.com

City of Rochester Property Information

Rochester City Living

Trulia Listed Homes For Sale

UR Home Ownership Program

Zillow listed homes for sale

COMMUNITY LINKS

Arnett Public Library

Brooks Landing

City of Rochester 

John Lightfoot, Monroe County Legislator,District 25

Loretta Scott, City Council President, At Large

LaShay D. Harris, South District

Genesee Valley Park

Metro Justice

RGRTA Bus Information

Minority Reporter

SouthWest Tribune

Rochester Green Living

ROCSPOT

Sector 4 Comm. Developmant Corp

Savor Life Radio Show

Teen Empowerment

WDKX Urban contemporary 103.9 FM

WRUR 88.5 UR and WXXI partnership  88.5 FM

Southwest Family YMCA

UR Gov. & Community Relations

EDUCATION

Rochester Prep Charter School

U.S. Dept. of Education

FAITH COMMUNITY

St. Monica Church

BUSINESSES

El Latino Restaurant
D and L Groceries
Hand Crafted Wrought Iron
Jim Dalberth Sports
Menezes Pizza
TOPS Friendly Markets
Staybridge Suites

OUTREACH AND SERVICES

Coalition to Prevent Lead Poisoning (CPLP)

Dealing with Lead
Drug Activity
Healthy Blocks
HEAP NY Home Heating Assistant
Home Safety Tips    LifeTimesAdultDay Health Care
Medicare
NeighborWorks Rochester
Parking / Abandoned Vehicles
2-1-1 Social Services
ACT Rochester

OTHER

Genesee Co-op FCU