New School Presentation at July 18, 2013 SWCC Meeting - Vision Quest Community School

Here is the section on the Vision Quest Presentation out of the SWCC July 18 minutes Eleanor Coleman posted in the SW Common Council (SWCC) group.  I'm not sure why Vision Quest was billed as a charter school in the SWCC agenda and minutes.  From their Facebook page it indicates they want to work within the district.

Special Presentation:  Charter School Proposal - Stacie Colaprete & Alison Skvarla
• Vision Quest Community School; visionquestcommunityschool@gmail.com
• Focus on project-based learning.  How does learning apply to everyday activities (e.g., establishing a garden)
• Arts magnet school at the elementary level; integrate all arts - performing, visual, photography etc - into every aspect of child's education.  Would like to offer the opportunity to choose arts as a vocation or an avocation.
• Would like to see this school in the SouthWest if the SW community has an interest.
• See a large role for community to be able to invest in their children; teach children at a young age to be more civic-minded (strong impact on a healthy neighborhood in 10 years)
• John Curran recommended speaking with Jon Schull, RIT School of Innovation
• Have been in conversation with and are receiving support from School Without Walls.
• Research shows that exposure to art increases the academic capacity of students.
• Visionquest Community School Facebook Page.

There is a lot of interesting material on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/VisionQuestCommunitySchool

The July 8 entry is interesting:

Vision Quest Community School :
Several of you have asked "What's going on with the school?" Well, basically we are waiting for RTA & RCSD to complete their own negotiations and create their proposal of what they want to see in teacher-led schools. Once that is done and they share it out, we will make triple sure that we have all of the components necessary in our own proposal. My friends, we are NOT sitting around and waiting! We continue to work on our proposal and our plans. We are confident that we have what RTA & RCSD are looking for in these schools. We will continue to plan so that we can present a strong and comprehansive school plan! Stay with us!
  • Sarah Dixon Peers When would the school come together and what would it look like? Would it be similar to GCCS?
  • Vision Quest Community School Sarah, I don't know when it would open. If we are approved, the earliest would be the 2014-2015 school year. We are not going to be a charter school. We will be part of the RCSD. We do not want to take more kid away from the District. We may have similar componants to and have incorporated ideas from several schools, including RCSD, charters, and private, but our design is our own. We will focus in the arts. We will be an actice learning school. We will have a HUGE family component. We will also have a big focus on the health and wellness of our students AND staff. I don't want to sound like I'm putting you off but I also do not want to share too many details until we are 100% approved. Trust me......it will be a GREAT school!
  • Vision Quest Community School I bet if you talk with Stacie she'll fill you in a bit more. BTW......we are looking for more parents........

Views: 56

SW Merchants

Information Links

These links plus others can also be found under the Links tab.

ABOUT THE 19TH WARD

19th Ward Community Association
Rochester City Living
RocWiki.org

ANIMAL RELATED SERVICES

To report animal cruelty, call 911 or  THE ANIMAL CRUELTY HOTLINE: (585) 223-6500

City of Rochester Low-income Spay/Neuter for pet Dogs and Cats

Rochester Community Animal Clinic - low-income spay/neuter for pet dogs and cats, and feral cats

PAWS, Inc.Providing Animal Welfare Services

City of Rochester Adopt a Dog or Cat

Lollypop Farm, The Humane Society of Rochester and Monroe County 

BUYING A HOME IN THE 19TH WARD

Homesteadnet.com

City of Rochester Property Information

Rochester City Living

Trulia Listed Homes For Sale

UR Home Ownership Program

Zillow listed homes for sale

COMMUNITY LINKS

Arnett Public Library

Brooks Landing

City of Rochester 

John Lightfoot, Monroe County Legislator,District 25

Loretta Scott, City Council President, At Large

LaShay D. Harris, South District

Genesee Valley Park

Metro Justice

RGRTA Bus Information

Minority Reporter

SouthWest Tribune

Rochester Green Living

ROCSPOT

Sector 4 Comm. Developmant Corp

Savor Life Radio Show

Teen Empowerment

WDKX Urban contemporary 103.9 FM

WRUR 88.5 UR and WXXI partnership  88.5 FM

Southwest Family YMCA

UR Gov. & Community Relations

EDUCATION

Rochester Prep Charter School

U.S. Dept. of Education

FAITH COMMUNITY

St. Monica Church

BUSINESSES

El Latino Restaurant
D and L Groceries
Hand Crafted Wrought Iron
Jim Dalberth Sports
Menezes Pizza
TOPS Friendly Markets
Staybridge Suites

OUTREACH AND SERVICES

Coalition to Prevent Lead Poisoning (CPLP)

Dealing with Lead
Drug Activity
Healthy Blocks
HEAP NY Home Heating Assistant
Home Safety Tips    LifeTimesAdultDay Health Care
Medicare
NeighborWorks Rochester
Parking / Abandoned Vehicles
2-1-1 Social Services
ACT Rochester

OTHER

Genesee Co-op FCU