Present: Howie Maffucci, John Laing, John Boutet, Don Bartalo, Don Pryor, Vicki Robertson, Donna LaMura, Jeff Brubaker, Connie Flahive, Bryan Babcock, Eileen Graham, Lila Ashehri,
Dan Drmacich (Also forgot the first name of Bryan Babcock's partner! Sorry!)
Discussion & Decisions:
1. Dan has not received a response to our request for a meeting with the Commissioner. Will wait until after the holidays to consult with Supt. Myers-Small on follow-up.
2. Bart reviewed our list of possible learning activities on racial equity & justice. We agreed that at our next meeting we will spend 20 minutes viewing the video "Nice White Parents," & discuss it. We will follow that up with other racial equity & justice discussions & presentations. We also agreed to continue our work on increasing our number of people of color in the Coalition. We will all try to recruit. Don Pryor has discussed the issue with Deb Hanmer of the PTLI & we will send a letter to their alumni requesting interested individuals to join us.
3. Don Pryor also shared that PTLI will also host a Zoom meeting for interested BoE candidates & that the Coalition is invited to attend. This will be a good opportunity for us to hear from possible candidates we may wish to support.
4. Donna shared that she and Ralph Spezio are organizing an exploratory meeting with First Asbury Church leaders & others to discuss the possibility of creating an inter-faith group to join & contribute to our Coalition's agenda & other education issues.
5. Howie & Dan are waiting for new Rochester-area NYS legislator addresses & will send to them our concerns about RCSD budget cuts to them & an invitation to meet with us to discuss our concerns & recommendations.
6. Dan sent an invitation to Teen Empowerment and Children's Institute student leaders requesting that they become active members of our Coalition.
7. Dan will follow through with Amy Shema on our Relationship Building addition to our Coalition Recommendations.
8. Bart shared that the City/County RASE Education Committee will submit several proposals for progressive change dealing with standardized testing, alternative assessments, anti-racism PD, multi-cultural curriculum and a vocational diploma. Other areas include restorative justice, funding, language learners and resource availability.
9. John Boutet & Ralph Spezio are working on a strategy to have busing available for all RCSD students.
10. Dan & Bart encouraged all Coalition members to complete the RASE survey, which was recently sent to all members, & to also share it with other organizations for their members to also complete.
11. We agreed to meet again on Friday, January 8th, by Zoom @ 4:00 pm.
Please let me know if I missed anything!