Don Pryor, Connie Flahive, Mark Hare, Chojy Schroeder, Don Bartalo, Diane Watkins, John Boutet, James Patterson, Howie Maffucci, Dan Drmacich
(Whom did I miss?)
Discussion & Decisions:
We reviewed the RASE Education Recommendations in preparation for the Zoom RASE Education Recommendations forum on July 28th, 2:30-4:30.
All Coalition members are encouraged to register for the forum through the attachment, below. You must register by Monday, July 26th. And, please sign up for the break-out group recommendation that you believe you have the most expertise and experience for which to offer suggestions & research.
1. Don Pryor & Mark Hare will be part of Recommendation #6; "Desegregation & Integration", & believe they have a great deal of research & data to support this recommendation, & are open to hearing new ideas regarding inter-district, thematic, desegregated magnet schools.
2. For Recommendation #1; "Limited Access to Resources," Dan will contact Caterina Leone-Mannino, to make sure she is a part of this group that focuses on mental health resources to assist students who are experiencing trauma; especially due to poverty related conditions. Additional mental health resource people & teacher PD is critical.
3. For Recommendation #2; "Testing & Curriculum," Bart & Dan will be a part of this group & will add clarification on what is meant by the high-stakes standardized testing concerns & recommendations and the need to emphasize anti-racism PD for educators & curriculum development for all K-12 students in Monroe County.
4. We encouraged Chojy to join break-out group #3 that focuses on "Language Development Access," & to recruit other activists to sign-up for this issue. We will also need resource individuals to support the recommendation for the development of a Multi-language development Magnet School. The need for a centralized Monroe County resource center for translators is critical.
5. We will contact RASE Recommendation member Laura Smith & Children's Agenda member, Eamon Scanlon to sign-up for Recommendation #4; Funding Both have expertise in this area.
Howie Maffucci will also be in this group.
7. For Recommendation #5; Discipline, we discussed the need for in-school resource people to deal with immediate violent or emotional student issues where students need to be removed, temporarily from class and for receiving assistance in developing skills to peacefully resolve issues. We also discussed the need for teachers & administrators to have the mind-sets & skills to de-escalate classroom disruption, and the need for a county-wide location for disruptive students to attend temporarily. Also, the need for creating a student-centered, high-standards vocational diploma for those students desiring to go from high school to a trade would provide more opportunities for students to receive a more intrinsically motivating & less frustrating education.
We agreed to all register for the RASE Forum & raise our discussion points & ideas for action plans.
We also agreed on our next meeting date, Friday, August 13th, @ 3:30 pm.
In the following flier, the Register Here
link lets you register for the July 28 Forum.