2021/10/07 Rochester Coalition for Public Education Meeting Minutes
From: Dan Drmacich <email@example.com> Sat, Oct 9 at 10:53 AM
To: Aiyana Smith,Alicia Ward,Amy Maloy,Amy Shema,Andrew Jordan,
Attendance: Howie Maffucci, Donna LaMura, Chojy Schroeder, Don Bartalo, Phyllis Moss, Mark Hare, John Boutet, Lilla Alsherhi, Dan Drmacich
Discussion & Decisions:
1. We approved the RASE Recommendations Implementation Proposal, to be sent to Drs. Cehas Archie and Candice Lucas, Chief Diversity Officers for the City of Rochester & Monroe County, respectively. (See Attached.) Thanks to Donna for reformatting!
2. Phyllis requested that our Coalition assist in finding volunteers for 19th Ward RCSD Schools. Dan will send her request to about 400 folks on our list-serve & a special request to local higher ed. education departments to consider getting college students involved.
3. Dan will continue his efforts with Eileen Graham, David Hursh & others to have U.S. Representative, Jamal Bowman, speak to our Coalition & other educators & concerned citizens of his work on the U.S. Dept of Education, to grant more flexibility on ESSA-mandated high-stakes standardized tests.
4. We agreed, in response to Chojy's concern, that having the proposed committee, identified in our proposal letter to Drs. Archie & Lucas, identify the skills students need to become successful, responsible citizens, is a critical component for better teaching, student success & the creation of meaningful, performance-based assessments.
5. Don has a short video on Racial Justice & Equity that he will show at our next meeting for our viewing and discussion.
6. We agreed to meet again on Friday, October 22nd, @ 4:00 pm. Howie will send Zoom invitations, as always.