From: Dan Drmacich <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2022 at 11:04 AM
To: RCPE group
Subject: Rochester Coalition for Public Education Jan. 28th Meeting Minutes
Present: Howie Maffucci, Lee Loomis, John Boutet, Chojy Schroeder, Don Pryor, David Hursh, Joe Simson, Dan Drmacich
1. Dan announced that guest, Shaun Nelms, East High Supt., was unable to attend & discuss possible RCSD replication of East High/Uof R school reform initiatives, due to a family illness, and has rescheduled for Friday, Feb. 25th @ 4:00 pm, by Zoom.
2. Dan shared that he has not heard yet from the City RASE representatives to assist with the advancement of the RASE Curriculum & Testing recommendations. Dan will send an email to them stating our interest in continuing with their assistance.
3. Dan shared that SUNY Brockport Dean of Education, Health Sciences & Human Development, Tom Hernandez, is very interested in exploring the possibility of Brockport developing a new process for preparing teachers & administrators for urban education. He will be scheduling a meeting with our Coalition to begin exploring our ideas.
4. Don Pryor reported that Great Schools for All held a second meeting with several interested Superintendents, a positive sign of interest in creating racially integrated, inter-district schools in Monroe County. He also shared that RASE Commissioner, Bill Johnson, will become more involved in suppoirting action to advance the RASE Recommendations..
5. Joe reported that East High teacher Laura Delahanty met with Dan & him to discuss more possible resources for designing & implementing our proposed Student Survey on Learning About Racism, and received several suggestions that we will contact. Dan will contact Roc the Future's Jackie Campbell regarding using the survey at an upcoming student summit. Laura will work with her students on our survey & possibilities for suburban & city implementation.
6. We discussed our upcoming meeting with Assemblyman Harry Bronson on Friday, Feb. 4th, @ 3:00, and approved our suggested agenda for questioning Harry about the following issues:
Dan will ask different Coalition members to facilitate for each question.
7. We discussed the article regarding the Potsdam, NY, Supt.'s response to the concerned parents' protest against advancing a curriculum that includes anti-racism & cultural sensitivity, and agreed, in general, with her response.
8. We also discussed the Aquinas issue and agreed that their situation is representative of what is taking place in many county & rural school districts in a less dramatic manner; specifically with "CRT."
9. Dan also announced that we will meet with local Rochester Scholar, Shanai Lee, on Feb. 15th @ 4 pm. to discuss her views on what plans she has for education change and her reaction to our Coalition Principles.
10. Dan will follow-up with an email to Joe Morelle's office, regarding our request for a meeting.
11. We agreed to meet again on Friday, Feb. 18th @ 4:00.