From: Dan Drmacich <firstname.lastname@example.org>
To:David Long,Sean Smith,Dave Atias,Eileen,David Kurtz and 78 more...
Sat, Dec 17, 2022 at 10:21 AM
2022/12/16 RCPE Meeting Minutes
Attendance: Howie Maffucci, Chojy Schroeder, John Boutet, Don Bartalo, Joe Simson, Lee Loomis, Michelle Heckman, Dan Drmacich
Discussion & Decisions:
1. Michelle Heckman, U of R Warner School Doctoral Student, shared her planning committee's design for a February 10-11 Education conference, of which our Coalition will collaborate in organizing. Among the recommendations & decisions were the following:
A. Rich Ryan will be the keynote speaker. presenting on the application of the research on intrinsic motivation & self determination theory to public education,
B. The conference will be open to the public & special notices will be sent to education leaders, school districts, state organizations, the Blue Ribbon Committee, Board of Regents, school boards, teacher unions & centers, the RASE Commission & community groups.
C. We recommended that the focus/goal of the conference be advertised as something like: "How the application of intrinsic motivation and self determination research can make schools better for students, educators & society."
D. We recommended that following the Ryan presentation, breakout rooms with facilitators explore the question: " So, what are we going to do about the application of this critical research to our schools?" Shared ideas from each breakout group would be prioritized and shared in a large group session. Each breakout room would have a predetermined, diverse group of participants, including Regent members, education professors, teachers, supts., etc.
E. We recommended a panel, including Rich Ryan, Commissioner Rosa, a local Regent, Dr. Michelle Fine and a teacher representative, to react to the break-out groups' recommendations and questions, through a skilled facilitator.
F. Michelle stated that participants can submit proposals for conducting small group sessions on education issues related to intrinsic motivation, self determination & other related issues.
G. Michelle stated that her planning committee would design the flyers & registration process,
H. Michelle also stated that the planning committee will meet with Coalition member & U of R professor, David Hursh to discuss our recommendations.
I. February is only a couple of months away. We need to make some final agreements & start the process.
2. We discussed our recent meeting with Regents Norwood & Turner. Among the feedback & recommendations were the following:
A. We were pleased that both Regents were very supportive of our recommendation for implementing a portfolio review presentation assessment process in place of the ELA exam for ELL students to graduate. However, we think this should be an immediate policy change to help those students who may not graduate due to their inability to pass the ELA, but can demonstrate their language acquisition abilities through their work. Chojy & her colleagues will follow up with our Coalition's support.
B. We wish Regent Turner was able to share more of her thoughts & suggestions.
C. We were pleased with Regent Norwood's enthusiastic support for our recommendations.
D. We will request that they participate in the February U of R conference & that they meet with us, again, in the Spring.
3. Apparently the Regents Blue Ribbon Committee met this past week, but David & Tricia were unable to attend our Coalition meeting to update us. Perhaps they could send us a report that we can share.
4. Bart, Chojy, John, Joe & Dan gave feedback on the December 5ht RASE Meeting. Among the feedback shared were:
A. It was a good turnout of around 100 folks. Over 200 had registered.
B. There was some confusion with the Education group proceeding & as a result the Education Group facilitator has resigned from that position.
C. There was little discussion of the RASE Coordinator position. Is the intention for the
Coordinator to facilitate each of the 9 RASE work groups?
D. Dan shared a plan with the Education work group for continuing in an expeditious manner & it has gained some positive responses from Howard Eagle's organization.
E. The RASE work groups have the potential to have the most comprehensive impact on racial inequity & injustice in Monroe County. We'll continue to participate & encourage action.
5. We agreed that we should meet with BoE members Camille Simmons & Ricardo Adams. Dan will invite them.
6. Dan shared his positive year-long monthly meeting experience with the "Exploring Racism Group" (ERG) and encouraged our members to register for the 2023 session, beginning in February. Use this link for registration information:
7. Dan shared Cindy Butterworth's general concerns about the National Parent Union (NPU) becoming more prominently involved in the RCSD, due to its financial support from the Broad & Koch foundations, & their support for school privatization. We'll discuss it at our next meeting.
8. Bart shared his feedback from a recent meeting with Interim Supt. Carmine Peluso & his desire to meet regularly with a group that has one representative from each of the Rochester education organizations. We supported this concept & Bart will draft a letter to Peluso encouraging him to begin the initiative by sending an invitation to each relevant education organization, requesting them to send ONE representative to a meeting on a specific date.
9. We agreed to meet again on Friday, January 6th @ 4:00 pm, 2023!
10. Happy Holidays, everyone!