2022/06/24 Rochester Coalition for Public Education Meeting Minutes - late start
From: Dan Drmacich <firstname.lastname@example.org>
To: David Long,Sean Smith,Dave Atias,Eileen,Deb Hanmer and 78 more...
Sat, Jun 25 at 3:54 PM
Attendance: Howie Maffucci, Lila Asherhi, John Boutet, Chogy Schroeder, Dan Drmacich
Discussion & Decisions:
1. We started about 4:20 pm, due to a problem, Howie, our Zoom host, had with traffic. Apparently others planning to attend did not see the note informing members about the delay.
2. Dan announced that the Urban League's "Power Brokers" held a meeting for the
RASE Recommendations implementation phase & decided that each of the 9 recommendation groups would meet separately later in July to complete their planning on their 3 priority recommendations. Each group is open to the community for participation. Dan will send a notice to all Coalition members regarding the meeting time. Currently Dan, John Boutet, Bart & Don Pryor are participating.
3. Bart was unable to participate due to a conflict, and was unable to inform us of any progress on forming an "urban-suburban" study group on possible school desegregation initiatives.
4. Dan informed us that he has arranged for a zoom meeting with Harry Bronson on Thursday, June 30th @ 10 am to discuss the following issues:
- A proposal to the Regents to allow ENL students to take an alternative performance-based assessment vs. the traditional Regents Exams,
- Charter School issues stemming from charters taking money from the federal "PPP" program,
- RCSD free bussing for all students, and
- New school "receivership issues"
5. Dan informed us that Joe Simson will send the Student Racism Survey to all Monroe County Supt.s in Sept., vs. the busy time schools now find themselves in.
6. Dan will move ahead with the possibility of having anti-racism speaker & author, Tim Wise, speak in the Rochester area, since there were no objections to our Coalition advancing it & collaborating with other groups.
7. We discussed the Education Mobilization Group's need for space in July & August to host workshops. We suggested the Phyllis Wheatly & Arnett Libraries, School # 16, & the NYSUT conference room.
8. Dan is continuing to try to organize a second, follow-up meeting with Joe Morelle.
9. Don & Mark were unavailable to report on the GS4A progress on school desegregation through inter-district magnet schools.
10. We agreed to meet again on Friday, July 8th @ 4:00 pm.