Here are the meeting notes as a .pdf file: SWCC Education Committee Minutes 2018-08-22.pdf
The Education Committee of the SW Common Council
Wednesday, August 22, 2018
6:30 to 8:00 pm at
Arnett Branch Library, 310 Arnett Boulevard
Joe Baldino School #29 Principal, 490-2245, firstname.lastname@example.org
John Boutet SWCC Education Committee Chair, 328-4271, email@example.com
Eleanor Coleman YouthBuild, OACES & ProsperRochester, 224-5119, firstname.lastname@example.org
John Laing 19WCA Schools Comm Chair & Sch #16 Vol, 235-5236, email@example.com
Joan Elizabeth Seamans Running for State Senate, Western NY (716) 725-1015, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Sciortino Wilson Magnet PTSO Pres, 461-1156, email@example.com
A video of parts of the 8/22 meeting can be viewed at: https://youtu.be/e-Usfvg6Fks. It features discussion of issues with Joan Seamans NY Senate candidate.
For information go to www.Roccitylibrary.org.
School #3 – Update
· No Report
School #10 – Update
· No Report
School #16 – Update
· Lots of meetings for the reopening. Carla Roberts, Principal of School #16, says the plans for opening school are in full swing. Lots to do.
· John B. noted that he would like to see more teachers who are connected to the neighborhood in some way.
· Important to provide staff with a resource that shows all the events and activities happening in the neighborhood (e.g., Beats @ Brooks).
· Planning a social that includes the school (e.g. Candlelight Dinner); recommended that Carla attend the 19th Ward Delegates Meeting held the 2nd Thurs in Sept. to learn more about the dinners. Dinners are generally in February.
· Carla taking the lead on an Open House/Community Tour on Saturday, 9/15. Ribbon Cutting Ceremony will be at 11am on 9/10. There is still work being done on the building to get it ready for the first day of school.
· John L. suggested Michelle Michael as a resource for connecting volunteers with students.
· Planning a social to include Mary Adams; proposing a home on the corner of post that has a view of School #16.
· Carla looking into 19th Ward Convention being held at School #16 sometime in November. Encourage teachers to become members of the 19th Ward.
· Busing – $65 million a year on busing. 1.5 mile rule causes communities to break up as parents will send child on bus to another school. Busing issue priorities for parents: (1) safety (2) scheduling challenges (work, childcare, etc.). Joan took notes and will explore this information. Parent School Buses (parents walking children to school) would work better with a concentration of students in one area.
· Seamans: Per student expense is $19,000, one of the highest in NY - Why is so much money being invested yet education is so poor (zip code shouldn’t define quality of education)? Biggest cost in NYS is salaries; good contracts, good benefits. However, we have some of the most entrenched, isolated pockets of poverty than anywhere in the country. Metro schools unacceptable to suburbs; there has been opposition to Urban/Suburban. RCSD issues: No stability in leadership, need someone young who will stay but also need someone who is experienced. What about institutionalized racism? Monroe County one of the most segregated counties in the state – that’s why metro school concept won’t make it. Recommendation to log onto SURJ (Showing Up for Racial Justice) on Facebook which provides a wide range of racial justice information, strategies, and education on institutionalized racism and white privilege.
School #19 –Update
· No report
School #29 Update
· All teachers invited to participate in 19WCA and Candlelight Dinners.
School #44 Update
· Deborah Ramsperger sitting in as principal; good reputation. Should be there until Donna Gattelaro-Anderson returns.
OACES & YouthBuild
· OACES – no longer has a Carpentry program but is expanding the Electrical program. They are thinking about creating a program with basic handy-person skills (house repairs).
· YouthBuild -
o Second cohort now working on construction sites for hands-on experience – mostly Habitat for Humanity. Next class will probably be at the end of September.
o We are moving to a new location but details not yet available.