Shawn O’Hara
60 Penhurst St
Rochester, New York 14619
October 24, 2009

Mayor Robert J. Duffy
30 Church Street
Rochester, New York 14614

Dear Mayor Duffy,

Today the 19th Ward witnessed another outrageous and senseless act against our community, with the suspected arson at 202 Trafalgar Street. We are devastated. Again.

Not less than a week ago our community was rocked by the flagrant, broad daylight, shooting of a young person on Thurston Road. And now, six days later and only blocks away, a resident of 40+ years and her son, as well as a new family to our city have been left homeless by this disturbing event.

For years our community has been fighting to lift ourselves up in an effort to end the violence and make our streets safe. But we are getting tired Mr. Mayor, and we need some help.

As you may know, the Southwest side of Rochester has one of the oldest community associations in the country, with our 19th Ward Community Association. We are also the home to many active block clubs, neighborhood groups and organizations that are fighting to make our streets safe, walk-able and crime free. We have marched. We have organized. We have held candle light vigils. But as quick as pulling a trigger, or lighting a match, all of our hope, energy and enthusiasm is extinguished. Our residents are tired, scared and feed-up. With many of us feeling helpless.

As the Mayor of this great city, I ask you to please consider committing more resources to our neighborhood. Such as fully staffing our Neighborhood Service Center, installing sound responding street cameras, and aggressive enforcement city codes, and laws such as littering, illegal parking and traffic violations. Coupled with these basic service improvements, it would be beneficial to implement and fund the final phase of the Thurston Road design study.

With these investments and improvements, the 19th Ward would not only become a more desirable place to live and work, they would also facilitate the increase of property values resulting in increased revenue for the city. But aside from the monetary benefits, we should consider the emotional well being of our community as a whole. Think of the positive effect on a child, knowing that they can walk to school safely without the fear of being shot. Think of the positive effect for a block club that can meet to plan a street fair, instead of planning on how to help a burned out family. These are the small things that happen, when we invest in our streetscapes, repair our building facades, and encourage business development. It is time Mr. Mayor. It is time to help us lift ourselves up, and end this seemingly endless battle against decay, violence and crime. It is time.

Sincerely,

Shawn O’Hara
Resident 19th Ward Rochester, New Yrok
Student Rochester Institute of Technology
Founder/Administrator Location19.org

Cc:
Patricia K. Malgieri, Deputy Mayor
G. Jean Howard, Chief of Staff
Darryl W. Porter, Assistant to the Mayor
Richard Hannon, Director of Special Projects
Dana Miller, City Councilmember At Large
Adam McFadden, City Councilmember South District
David Moore, Police Chief
Charles Reaves, Commissioner, Recreation and Youth Services

Views: 274

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

BRILLIANT Hilary and not at all too long! LOVE LOVE LOVE it especially the 2nd last paragraph.
Oh Hillary! Once again touche'

Anthony
BRAVO !!!!!!!

A great letter. Thank you for writing it.
Thank you Hilary, I hope with our collective voices we might be heard. Boy I wish I could write like that!
-Shawn
Are you emailing or writing a letter letter?
I emailed my letter to all those listed above, as well as the D&C, and the City Newspaper.
Shawn (and Hilary) I would strongly encourage you to mail (US Mail.. AKA Snailmail) in hard copies of your letters. My experience is that written letters are often taken more seriously by public officials than emails.

Great letters!
Wonderful letter, Hilary - and not too long at all. Every word of it is meaningful. Could you copy your letter to Shawn's list as well as the officials Willie Lightfoot mentioned in his post a couple of days ago?

"There should be a letter to Maggie Brooks and the County too. Where are the County resources. Shierff, probation,da [District Attorney] office etc...The County should pay more attention to City issues. We pay county taxes too, which went up by the way! Where is the county? Its going to take all resources City and County to help change our city. I support the letter and these issue as well. Nice job."

Everyone else - please do the same. The more voices, the more powerful we are.
Here is the first response I've received to my open letter. It's from the Office of the Police of Chief, from Mark Beaudrault. I would have to say that in the last couple of days I have heard of tickets bring given for illegal parking. And today on my way down Thurston Road around 7:30am, I saw 2 cop cars patrolling the street, which is the first time I remember seeing them so early in the morning.

We need to keep our voices loud and clear. Thanks for everyone's help!
-Shawn

Dear Mr. O’Hara:

Please be advised that Chief Moore is in receipt of your email dated October 24th , 2009 concerning crime in the 19th Ward, specifically the arson fire at 202 Trafalger Street. We do understand your concerns.

The Police Department approaches every day with a sense of urgency and a desire to find innovative solutions to our City’s challenges. The Rochester Police Department (RPD) is committed to the development and perpetuation of programs designed to prevent and control crimes, as such we are continuously looking for innovative ideas to address violence. Some innovative solutions implemented are IMPACT, Zero Tolerance, Shotspotter (gun fire recognition) and police overt observation cameras.

It is clearly understood in the RPD that all employees and components are responsible for enhancing the quality of life of our constituency, implementing the tenets of our community-involvement strategy, and for achieving our crime prevention and community goals. We will continue to develop partnerships and resources within the community to build problem-solving coalitions, to instill a sense of mutual responsibility for enhancing public safety, and to increase the community’s capacity to resolve issues related to crime and the fear of crime.

We do believe that with the help of our community-involvement initiatives and crime prevention activities that we can address the problems that pose the greatest concerns to the community and where this activity is most geographically prevalent.

Crimes such as the arson fire are extremely serious for the community as a whole. Please be assured that our Arson Task Force is diligently working on the investigation.

Mark Beaudrault

Office of the Chief of Police
Rochester Police Department
185 Exchange Blvd
Rochester, NY 14614
(585) 428-3644
This is the reply I received.

Does anyone have a reply with different words
in it ?

If so, maybe we could trade City responses like
"baseball cards" !

Dear Mr. Kastner:

Please be advised that Chief Moore is in receipt of your email dated October 23rd and 25th , 2009 concerning crime in the 19th Ward, specifically the arson fire at 202 Trafalger Street. We do understand your concerns.

The Police Department approaches every day with a sense of urgency and a desire to find innovative solutions to our City’s challenges. The Rochester Police Department (RPD) is committed to the development and perpetuation of programs designed to prevent and control crimes, as such we are continuously looking for innovative ideas to address violence. Some innovative solutions implemented are IMPACT, Zero Tolerance, Shotspotter (gun fire recognition) and police overt observation cameras.

It is clearly understood in the RPD that all employees and components are responsible for enhancing the quality of life of our constituency, implementing the tenets of our community-involvement strategy, and for achieving our crime prevention and community goals. We will continue to develop partnerships and resources within the community to build problem-solving coalitions, to instill a sense of mutual responsibility for enhancing public safety, and to increase the community’s capacity to resolve issues related to crime and the fear of crime.

We do believe that with the help of our community-involvement initiatives and crime prevention activities that we can address the problems that pose the greatest concerns to the community and where this activity is most geographically prevalent.

Crimes such as the arson fire are extremely serious for the community as a whole. Please be assured that our Arson Task Force is diligently working on the investigation.

Mark Beaudrault

Office of the Chief of Police

Rochester Police Department

185 Exchange Blvd

Rochester, NY 14614

(585) 428-3644

MB0548@cityofrochester.gov
geeeeeeeeezzzzz............. it reminds me of calling Dell's "customer service" with a complaint and about 5 minutes into the conversation, you realize that Dave (in India) is reading from a script and isn't really HEARING what you're saying.
On a similar note, I have just returned from the 'street watch meeting' where we discussed 'drug houses'..... more on that later, but one of the speakers said THREE different times "please don't call the Mayor's office or the Chief's office" - his point was that the complaint ends up with him anyway, but perhaps we're hitting some 'nerves'.
WHAT! Don't call the Mayor or The Police Chief! I guess we just learned that this is NOT an open door type of City Hall. Well unless you want to build a new office tower downtown, or move your company there. I know I am saying this without being at the meeting. But that's what I'm drawing from that statement. Maybe we need to turn it up a notch?

RSS

SW Merchants

Information Links

These links plus others can also be found under the Links tab.

ABOUT THE 19TH WARD

19th Ward Community Association
Rochester City Living
RocWiki.org

ANIMAL RELATED SERVICES

To report animal cruelty, call 911 or  THE ANIMAL CRUELTY HOTLINE: (585) 223-6500

City of Rochester Low-income Spay/Neuter for pet Dogs and Cats

Rochester Community Animal Clinic - low-income spay/neuter for pet dogs and cats, and feral cats

PAWS, Inc.Providing Animal Welfare Services

City of Rochester Adopt a Dog or Cat

Lollypop Farm, The Humane Society of Rochester and Monroe County 

BUYING A HOME IN THE 19TH WARD

Homesteadnet.com

City of Rochester Property Information

Rochester City Living

Trulia Listed Homes For Sale

UR Home Ownership Program

Zillow listed homes for sale

COMMUNITY LINKS

Arnett Public Library

Brooks Landing

City of Rochester 

John Lightfoot, Monroe County Legislator,District 25

Loretta Scott, City Council President, At Large

LaShay D. Harris, South District

Genesee Valley Park

Metro Justice

RGRTA Bus Information

Minority Reporter

SouthWest Tribune

Rochester Green Living

ROCSPOT

Sector 4 Comm. Developmant Corp

Savor Life Radio Show

Teen Empowerment

WDKX Urban contemporary 103.9 FM

WRUR 88.5 UR and WXXI partnership  88.5 FM

Southwest Family YMCA

UR Gov. & Community Relations

EDUCATION

Rochester Prep Charter School

U.S. Dept. of Education

FAITH COMMUNITY

St. Monica Church

BUSINESSES

El Latino Restaurant
D and L Groceries
Hand Crafted Wrought Iron
Jim Dalberth Sports
Menezes Pizza
TOPS Friendly Markets
Staybridge Suites

OUTREACH AND SERVICES

Coalition to Prevent Lead Poisoning (CPLP)

Dealing with Lead
Drug Activity
Healthy Blocks
HEAP NY Home Heating Assistant
Home Safety Tips    LifeTimesAdultDay Health Care
Medicare
NeighborWorks Rochester
Parking / Abandoned Vehicles
2-1-1 Social Services
ACT Rochester

OTHER

Genesee Co-op FCU