I stopped for Breakfast this morning at the Brooks Landing Diner - it's located on Genesee Street in a small strip mall where the fish shop was previously located.

I was greeted by the friendly owner who was the only one working. The tables were empty so I got to choose where to sit. Service was decent and the food was good too! Less than $5 for scrambled eggs, well done homefries, toast and OJ.
The owner tells me she spent a fair amount of money rehabing the place and she's worried about competition from Subway (just down the street).

The hours at the diner are 7-4 so they're serving breakfast and lunch.

Check it out when you get a chance!

Views: 1182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And............. the $ 1.25 cup of coffee is included in the $ 5.00. Oh Yes!

John you beat me to it, I was just about to scan and post the menu! Being one of the few places within walking distance of my house and work I have literally eaten here almost everyday this past week. I finally bucked up and tried the Bulgogi - Chicken Bulgogi. A little steep at $12.99 but it was amazing a really good lunch! The sauce is a must, sweet and spicy. All I can say is it was good really good...

Here is a picture of the inside of the Brooks Landing Diner.  It is very spacious and clean.  This particular morning the 19th Ward Community Association History Committee pulled a couple of tables together and held its meeting at the far end of the diner.  Sue, seen behind the counter, is a joy to deal with and has a lot of fun joking with the customers.

Here is a picture of the front of the Brooks Landing Diner on the south east corner of Genesee and Barton Streets.  It occupies the southern half of the building and the address is 904 Genesee Street.

I really wanted to like this place, but my experience this morning was really REALLY bad. Tables dirty,  service slow and the waiter got the order wrong, food was undercooked and there was a hair on the plate. I was so disappointed! I may go back and try the Korean food some afternoon. The people seemed nice. WiFi worked great.

Brooks Landing can be an interesting dining experience if your not use to it. Not that you should be use to it but it can definitely be different than the standard table service expectation. I find it is completely except-able here to get up and get things yourself and even yell (I know, it is strange, yet well received) your reminders to sue if she running slow or forgets something.  Sometimes she makes you get your own coffee, sometimes the wrong food comes and you just kind of shrug and take what you get. I think I may have just missed you. When I got there they were just cleaning up saying they got slammed big time and we just missed the chaos. The thing I don't understand is every time I get homefries they are different. 

All that said..... I still go there multiple times a week.

I may try again. There weren't too many people there when we were there; 3 at the counter and 3 tables. My real complaint was the undercooked food --safety considerations there.

I've have never had a problem, and I like the 'get it yourself' (kind of homey) I do know Sue has some health challenges right now, and is in considerable pain.  AND I know from experience severe pain can make you act quite differently than you normally would do.  Severe, unrelenting pain can drive you crazy or at least act like it.

I certainly understand the problems of severe pain, and trying to run a business through it. I probably just caught them on a really bad day, and will give them another chance.  I wouldn't have any problem with the "get it yourself"; I like funky, offbeat places as a rule.

RSS

SW Merchants

Information Links

These links plus others can also be found under the Links tab.

ABOUT THE 19TH WARD

19th Ward Community Association
Rochester City Living
RocWiki.org

ANIMAL RELATED SERVICES

To report animal cruelty, call 911 or  THE ANIMAL CRUELTY HOTLINE: (585) 223-6500

City of Rochester Low-income Spay/Neuter for pet Dogs and Cats

Rochester Community Animal Clinic - low-income spay/neuter for pet dogs and cats, and feral cats

PAWS, Inc.Providing Animal Welfare Services

City of Rochester Adopt a Dog or Cat

Lollypop Farm, The Humane Society of Rochester and Monroe County 

BUYING A HOME IN THE 19TH WARD

Homesteadnet.com

City of Rochester Property Information

Rochester City Living

Trulia Listed Homes For Sale

UR Home Ownership Program

Zillow listed homes for sale

COMMUNITY LINKS

Arnett Public Library

Brooks Landing

City of Rochester 

John Lightfoot, Monroe County Legislator,District 25

Loretta Scott, City Council President, At Large

LaShay D. Harris, South District

Genesee Valley Park

Metro Justice

RGRTA Bus Information

Minority Reporter

SouthWest Tribune

Rochester Green Living

ROCSPOT

Sector 4 Comm. Developmant Corp

Savor Life Radio Show

Teen Empowerment

WDKX Urban contemporary 103.9 FM

WRUR 88.5 UR and WXXI partnership  88.5 FM

Southwest Family YMCA

UR Gov. & Community Relations

EDUCATION

Rochester Prep Charter School

U.S. Dept. of Education

FAITH COMMUNITY

St. Monica Church

BUSINESSES

El Latino Restaurant
D and L Groceries
Hand Crafted Wrought Iron
Jim Dalberth Sports
Menezes Pizza
TOPS Friendly Markets
Staybridge Suites

OUTREACH AND SERVICES

Coalition to Prevent Lead Poisoning (CPLP)

Dealing with Lead
Drug Activity
Healthy Blocks
HEAP NY Home Heating Assistant
Home Safety Tips    LifeTimesAdultDay Health Care
Medicare
NeighborWorks Rochester
Parking / Abandoned Vehicles
2-1-1 Social Services
ACT Rochester

OTHER

Genesee Co-op FCU