I just got back from the Thurston Road Safety Meeting hosted by, City Council member and Chair of City Council's Public Safety Committee, Adam McFadden that was held about open-air drug markets and public safety issues.

I felt it was a pretty well attended meeting. I counted about 50 people, many who were actively involved in the discussion. What I brought away from the meeting was that Adam personally wants to help make Thurston Road, and subsequently the adjacent streets, safer by eliminating drug dealing, and violence that plague the area. From what was discussed, I feel that if followed through, his idea and plans can and will have an impact in our neighborhood(s). Below is a general outline from the notes I took. For more detailed information, I suggest you contact Adam directly. I know he would love to tell you all about it.

Thurston Road Public Safety Meeting
Wednesday August 25th 7pm
Rochester Presbyterian Home 256 Thurston Road

- Idea that there are many little problems creating a large problem
*Open air drug dealing
*Drug houses
*Late night street violence after bars let out

-Work smarter to solve problems.
*Informing residents what does it take to close drug house/open air markets.
*Where, if any, should new cameras go.
*Create a website to report, track and follow up on problems.
*Have bars and night clubs pay, as part of incurring points on their license, for "event police" similar to the East End.

-Keep pressure on Adam to make things happen.
*Monthly meetings (Third Wed of every month at the Presbyterian Home)
*He will involve the Police Dept, City Hall, City legal Dept, DSS, and others into the process and at meetings.

Adam McFadden discussing his strategy.

During the meeting we all were invited to pin-point where we thought were drug houses, or open air drug markets. Where we would like to see more cameras, or where there is a safe space in the neighborhood.

Contact Adam:
Councilman Adam McFadde
178 Farragut St., Rochester, NY 14611
mcfadda@cityofrochester.gov
(585) 428-7538 (Office)
(585) 279-0508 (Home)
http://www.cityofrochester.gov

Views: 266

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I respectfully disagree that it's not right to call 911 again if police don't do anything to address the situation. I called again, they came back and addressed the issue and the crowd dispersed. Calling once and leaving it at "it's their responsibility" would have left a crowd of people dealing drugs on my corner. Who knows what else could have unfolded. My children's bedroom windows are well within range of gunfire on that corner.

If you think something is happening and police don't respond. Maybe that's one thing. If you see it happening with your own eyes ... that's something else. I think you have a right to demand a response.
I think the argument is that, in some parts of the city, if you call once, the police response is immediate, and the issue(s) are dealt with. Here we find, as you mentioned, that we have to call more than once to get A response. Let alone any follow through. If we are asked to "call 911" then I believe there should be a response.

I would suggest, when we call 911, we ask them how long the response time is going to be? We pay for this service, and it is in place to protect the citizens of the city. It is not a service, that if you live in the right zip code, you will get a faster response or a response at all.

I would also suggest that we call the Neighborhood Service Center (585) 428-7630, and/or our City council public servants; Dana Miller (428-7583 office)
(436-2409 home), and Adam MacFadden (428-7538 Office)
(279-0508 Home) if we find that we are not being responded too.
I have found when I call 911 the response time varies, based on the nature of the problem. On zip codes, some have fewer problems than ours so response time can be faster. If officers are already tied up in our area, of course it will be necessary for them to finish what they are doing before taking on a new job. I am not defending, just offering a possible explanation. And if I have called 911 and am not satisfied with response time, I call again, and sometimes, again. No this is not an optimal situation, but reality.
You can also call and ask to speak to the shift supervisor.
Just found out that Rochester Police Chief David Moore will be at the Sept 30th Thurston Road Public Safety meeting to discuss public safety needs for the neighborhoods around Thurston Road.

RSS

SW Merchants

Information Links

These links plus others can also be found under the Links tab.

ABOUT THE 19TH WARD

19th Ward Community Association
Rochester City Living
RocWiki.org

ANIMAL RELATED SERVICES

To report animal cruelty, call 911 or  THE ANIMAL CRUELTY HOTLINE: (585) 223-6500

City of Rochester Low-income Spay/Neuter for pet Dogs and Cats

Rochester Community Animal Clinic - low-income spay/neuter for pet dogs and cats, and feral cats

PAWS, Inc.Providing Animal Welfare Services

City of Rochester Adopt a Dog or Cat

Lollypop Farm, The Humane Society of Rochester and Monroe County 

BUYING A HOME IN THE 19TH WARD

Homesteadnet.com

City of Rochester Property Information

Rochester City Living

Trulia Listed Homes For Sale

UR Home Ownership Program

Zillow listed homes for sale

COMMUNITY LINKS

Arnett Public Library

Brooks Landing

City of Rochester 

John Lightfoot, Monroe County Legislator,District 25

Loretta Scott, City Council President, At Large

LaShay D. Harris, South District

Genesee Valley Park

Metro Justice

RGRTA Bus Information

Minority Reporter

SouthWest Tribune

Rochester Green Living

ROCSPOT

Sector 4 Comm. Developmant Corp

Savor Life Radio Show

Teen Empowerment

WDKX Urban contemporary 103.9 FM

WRUR 88.5 UR and WXXI partnership  88.5 FM

Southwest Family YMCA

UR Gov. & Community Relations

EDUCATION

Rochester Prep Charter School

U.S. Dept. of Education

FAITH COMMUNITY

St. Monica Church

BUSINESSES

El Latino Restaurant
D and L Groceries
Hand Crafted Wrought Iron
Jim Dalberth Sports
Menezes Pizza
TOPS Friendly Markets
Staybridge Suites

OUTREACH AND SERVICES

Coalition to Prevent Lead Poisoning (CPLP)

Dealing with Lead
Drug Activity
Healthy Blocks
HEAP NY Home Heating Assistant
Home Safety Tips    LifeTimesAdultDay Health Care
Medicare
NeighborWorks Rochester
Parking / Abandoned Vehicles
2-1-1 Social Services
ACT Rochester

OTHER

Genesee Co-op FCU