I see that a few people have recently joined the Luminary 2010 group that Dan started last year - this group was for the 2010 Luminary night and I don't know if Dan is monitoring activity at this time.

I'm not sure if it's clear (yet) how the 2011 event is being organized. I know that LaShay had volunteered to get more information from Dan and I know that Eleanor was talking to other SW groups about expanding this beyond the 19th ward.

Does anyone have any details about the plans for 2011? If so, perhaps we can start a new group and/or discussion re: what is planned.

Views: 166

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for doing this, Margy.  Besides folks who have expressed an interest in Luminary 2010, I know that John Curran has an interested in putting luminaries on the riverfront and he is speaking with others who are also interested.  I am having a meeting with the SWCC Communications Committee on Wed, Jan 5 at 4 p.m. at Boulder.  One of the agenda items is the Luminary Event because I think it is a good way to build bridges.  Please feel free to join us.  

Prior to the meeting, I plan to (1) talk with Hunt's to find out if they want to participate this year and what would be required for us to do so and (2) price out the bags, candles (tea lights as well as battery) and sand/stone for bottom of the bags to give us a good idea on the dollar cost of each set of 10 luminaries.    I'm hoping to walk away from this meeting with a date for getting people together to put the kits together (was thinking about Sunday afternoon, Jan 9).

I'd like to see if we can't "map" where the hot chocolate corners are and maybe even put up a list of who is putting up lights so we can let people know where they can go to see lights and to socialize with neighbors.

I thinkLandy Atkinson may have done the maps in past years.    

It would probably make sense for those getting involved with this years event to contact Dan DeMarle and ask he add one or two people as group administrators for the 2010 Luminary Event group and rename that group Martin Luther King Luminary Events so it can be an ongoing group where people plan this event each years.  In the currently empty text box for that group you could, along with other group objective statements, post links to general discussions that are posted elsewhere on the site such as:

leadership needed 2011 Luminary Evening

Luminary Event- 2011

Looking at Race Relations in the SW

Luminary evening feedback

Luminary Event planning meeting feedback

so that people joining the group can review what has been talked about previously.  One of the drawbacks of the structure of this site is that it can be hard to locate the various discussions that have taken place on a topic unless you know how to search the site.

If MLK Luminary  discussions in the future are mostly posted in the group's Discussion Forum it will make things a little easier for newcomers to find and having people join the group to post makes communications a little easier since you can send messages to group members w/o having to contact all Location19 members.

This year I will be organizing the 2011 Luminary Event.   Since Dan and other previous participants did a great job in the previous years, the organization as been less stressful.   

This years Luminary Kits can be purchase at the following distribution locations:

Menezes Pizza 445 Chili Ave from 12pm -6pm

Hunt's Hardware  390 Thurston Rd

We are still working on some additional details.   I am very proud to be apart of this event each year.   I am currently seeking volunteers for Hot Cocoa stations.   I saw a few mention some locations but I am interested in getting these details on the website, Location19 and email communication.

Please email me with questions and if any one wants to volunteer in assisting please email me at deniz6@aol.com or call me 217-2636. 

Best Regards

LaShay 

Great news!  Thanks, LaShay.  John Boutet's suggestions seem very helpful; I'm hoping you can work with him to streamline the organization of the event even more.  Pricing would be helpful on this site.

UPDATE!!!!  

• LaShay Harris is collecting information on where the hot chocolate sites are so it can be placed on the luminary event website (luminaryevening.com) - please get that information to her at as soon as possible at deniz6@aol.com or by calling her at 217-2636.  If you haven't yet, visit the luminaryevening.com website - it is loaded with information, including a very helpful map.
  • Luminary Kits cost $4 and are currently available at Hunt's Hardware on Thurston.  Starting tomorrow (Saturday), they will also be available at Menenze's Pizza on Chili and Boulder Coffee at Brooks/Genesee.
  • We are hoping to consolidate the Luminary Event discussions on Location 19/SW by having one Luminary Event location and posting the link to luminaryevening.com which will be updated over the next few days with 2010 information.
  • There will be a final "put some kits together" party on Sunday, January 16, from 1-4 at St. Monica's in the meeting room at the back of the sanctuary.   Plans are to put luminaries along the river from Corn Hill Landing to the StayBridge Suites Hotel so we'll need lots of kits!
  • We are checking with RPD to see if security can be increased on the bike path for those who might want to check out the river luminaries.  There will be a hot chocolate stand at Riverview Apts (UR/So. Plymouth).
  • New partners in the Luminary Event this year are:  Corn Hill, Susan B. Anthony District, Virginia Ave.  If I missed you - please call LaShay and let her know!!!!!!

This is great news! And, thanks to LaShay for organizing this year.

We'll be hosting a fire/refreshment stand on Marlborough between GPB and Thurston. If tradition holds it will be one of the coldest nights of the winter!

Eleanor or LaShay,

I believe in this morning's D&C they were asking perhaps on front bottom left of B section for information on what was going on around town for MLK Day.  I don't have the info any more as it is in the Blue Box awaiting pickup.  Did anyone else see this?  A great opportunity for publicity ... Hope one of you can follow up. 

I am amazed at the momentum this year.  Congratulations to all involved!

Mark

The note was in this morning's paper again.  It said to send a description of the event, date and location, time, sponsor, and contact info to roc-info@democratandchronicle.com.  The info sent out by the 19th WCA today should be adequate.
I have updated http://LuminaryEvening.com with all the information I have received so far.  If there are more bonfire's or Hot Chocolate site, please let me know, so I can update the map.  -Landy

The luminaries looked great last night.   I had hoped to get out to more areas of the ward last night but was not able to.

Thanks to everyone for participating, and a big thanks to LaShay Harris for organizing the event this year!

If you did not have a chance to participate this year... there is always the 2012 Luminary event.

RSS

SW Merchants

Information Links

These links plus others can also be found under the Links tab.

ABOUT THE 19TH WARD

19th Ward Community Association
Rochester City Living
RocWiki.org

ANIMAL RELATED SERVICES

To report animal cruelty, call 911 or  THE ANIMAL CRUELTY HOTLINE: (585) 223-6500

City of Rochester Low-income Spay/Neuter for pet Dogs and Cats

Rochester Community Animal Clinic - low-income spay/neuter for pet dogs and cats, and feral cats

PAWS, Inc.Providing Animal Welfare Services

City of Rochester Adopt a Dog or Cat

Lollypop Farm, The Humane Society of Rochester and Monroe County 

BUYING A HOME IN THE 19TH WARD

Homesteadnet.com

City of Rochester Property Information

Rochester City Living

Trulia Listed Homes For Sale

UR Home Ownership Program

Zillow listed homes for sale

COMMUNITY LINKS

Arnett Public Library

Brooks Landing

City of Rochester 

John Lightfoot, Monroe County Legislator,District 25

Loretta Scott, City Council President, At Large

LaShay D. Harris, South District

Genesee Valley Park

Metro Justice

RGRTA Bus Information

Minority Reporter

SouthWest Tribune

Rochester Green Living

ROCSPOT

Sector 4 Comm. Developmant Corp

Savor Life Radio Show

Teen Empowerment

WDKX Urban contemporary 103.9 FM

WRUR 88.5 UR and WXXI partnership  88.5 FM

Southwest Family YMCA

UR Gov. & Community Relations

EDUCATION

Rochester Prep Charter School

U.S. Dept. of Education

FAITH COMMUNITY

St. Monica Church

BUSINESSES

El Latino Restaurant
D and L Groceries
Hand Crafted Wrought Iron
Jim Dalberth Sports
Menezes Pizza
TOPS Friendly Markets
Staybridge Suites

OUTREACH AND SERVICES

Coalition to Prevent Lead Poisoning (CPLP)

Dealing with Lead
Drug Activity
Healthy Blocks
HEAP NY Home Heating Assistant
Home Safety Tips    LifeTimesAdultDay Health Care
Medicare
NeighborWorks Rochester
Parking / Abandoned Vehicles
2-1-1 Social Services
ACT Rochester

OTHER

Genesee Co-op FCU